COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT WORKER – SUPPORTING INDEPENDENCE
Salary: NJC 6 pt 22 at £27,514 FTE
Hours: 37 hours negotiable
Location: South Devon areas including Teignbridge, Totnes and Dartmouth
During Covid-19 we are taking a blended approach of home working and working from our new office base in Newton Abbot; we will discuss with you the best balance for you.
Contract length: 12 months initially
Teignbridge CVS is a charity which helps communities and the individuals within those communities to identify issues that affect them and find their own solutions. We have a staff team, supported by Health and Social Care, who are working in South Devon to deliver, using proven community development principles, stronger, more sustainable communities using the skills and resources that those residents and people already have.
At the start of the Covid-19 pandemic we saw an amazing response from our local communities including existing community groups, new groups and local residents, we saw communities come together to support their neighbours, friends and families often without any formal support, funding or bureaucracy – we saw asset-based community development.
Through our pandemic journey we have seen a number of these community initiatives fall away as people return to work or to volunteering, as messages about the need and the crisis change and the need itself changes. We know however that the demand on statutory services remains high and for many people they remain isolated and lonely, they remain waiting for statutory care and their confidence is low.
Our wider work seeks to re-energise local communities and this project arm focusses on looking to explore how we can encourage more people within those communities to become self-employed Personal Care Assistants (PA) and be a part of that mix forming the community offer of support.
We recognise that the task below is a Big Ask – you will not be alone – whilst you will be the lead for this project we have a team at CVS to support and work with you on this project and good relationships with statutory Health and Social Care
This is a new role and we anticipate the ask to be:
- Recruitment to the PA market across South Devon
- Supporting PAs with their set up, training, advice and information ensuring that they are legal, safe and supported
- Supporting PAs to receive Direct Payments from Clients and Statutory Services (where there is an entitlement)
- Promoting understanding of the role of PA across the Community for individual who need their service
- Linking PAs into the wider Community Offer across the voluntary sector, Health and Social Care Teams, Hospital Discharge teams and more
- Supporting PAs to network with each other and supporting their wider wellbeing
We anticipate our OUTCOMES AND IMPACT:
- A strong PA offer that is well linked in, motivated and has the skills to deliver
- A supported and networked PA offer with reduced risk of isolation
- A well-informed network of PAs with opportunities for CPD
- Increased opportunities for residents to be engaged in decision making within their communities – collectively or individually
- Increased awareness and focus on those people who are struggling
- Early identification of those who may be at risk of needing statutory health and/or social care intervention and instead supported locally – delaying or reducing need for statutory intervention
- Locally empowered communities and individual sense of belonging resulting in stronger and more connected communities
- Understanding and valuing of the individual offer and strength to build potential for self-sustaining support for those who might need it
- Relationship building and improved existing relationships – sense of belonging
Applying for this role
Applications should be made on our application form (including the names and addresses of two referees) and emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org FAO Sue Wroe. If you would like a recruitment pack sent by email or through the post please contact email@example.com
If you need to send us your application form rather than use email please contact us for an address.
For an informal discussion about the post please contact Sue Wroe on the email address above
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS is 5pm Monday 23rd May 2022
INTERVIEWS will be held Wednesday 1st June 2022