Trustees' Week is the annual event that showcases the fantastic work that trustees do for their charities, communities and the sector, and highlights opportunities for people from all walks of life to get involved and make a difference.
Devon Voluntary Action (DeVA) would like to take this opportunity to say ‘thank you’ to all Trustees who support the work of our charities throughout Devon.
Thinking of becoming a Trustee? Why not take a look on our recruitment website Volunteer Connect for Trustee opportunities in your area.
What is your role as a Trustee?
In your role as a trustee or board member it is your duty (with colleagues) to make decisions about direction.
- Usually a charity is governed by a trustee board that takes overall responsibility for its work. Governance is a term used to describe the trustees’ role in:
- Securing the long term direction of the charity (furthering its objects or purposes as set out in its governing document)
- Ensuring that policies and activities achieve those objects
- Ensuring the charity is run in a way that is legal, responsible and effective
- Being accountable to those with an interest or 'stake' in the charity
- Good governance runs throughout a charity
The trustee board is responsible for good governance, but they rely on many different people to be able to govern well – staff and the chief executive in particular, volunteers, advisors and others with an interest or stake in the organisation (stakeholders).
Further information on the role of a Trustee and recruiting new Trustees can be found below;
- The Charity Commission – Trustee Role & Board
- Charity Governance Code - This Code is a practical tool to help charities and their trustees develop high standards of governance. It focuses on 7 themes; Organisational Purpose, Leadership, Integrity, Decision Making Risk and Control, Board Effectiveness, Diversity, Openness and Accountability.
- Charity Commission Guidance - Finding New Trustees
- NCVO/KnowHowNonProfit - Trustees and other governance
- NCVO Sample documents and templates – Board Basics - NB You will need to be an NCVO member to have access to these templates
Promote your Trustee volunteering opportunities on Volunteer Connect DeVA
Trustee Workshops – Interested in attending workshops relating to Trustees please contact Clare – Clare@devonva.org